After more than 60 years of nursing education, there are more than 6,000 Spartan Nurses around the globe. MSU nurses are engaged in practice, research, education, leadership, and policy development.
The College will further its legacy with milestones including:
- BOTT BUILDING for Nursing Education and Research earned silver Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification, spring 2014
- Achieved rank of #12 in the list of schools of nursing receiving NIH funding in 2013
- Fall 2013, Nurse Anesthesia program granted 10 years of continuing accreditation from the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Programs (COA) through 2023
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program launched fall 2013
- Fall 2012, the College of Nursing received 10 years of continuing accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education through 2022. This is the longest period of accreditation available
- THE BOTT BUILDING for Nursing Education and Research, opened with a Dedication Ceremony on Friday, November 2, 2012
- U.S. News and World Report’s 2011 edition of America's Best Graduate Schools ranks the MSU College of Nursing in the top eight percent of graduate programs in the nation
- First-time U.S. News and World Report’s 2011 rankings for the Nurse Anesthesia nursing concentration were 32 out of 100 when compared to other anesthesia programs
The College of Nursing entered the new millennium with continued growth, progress and expanded academic opportunities.
- 2002 - The College was fully accredited for the maximum 10 years by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- 2004 - The first PhD student earned her Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing degree.
- 2007 - The Nurse anesthesia program received initial accreditation by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA).
- 2000 - The College admitted its first class of six PhD students.
- 2000 - A post-doctoral program created jointly with the Department of Epidemiology began in Fall 2000.
- 2001 - A Fast Track PhD program was developed to allow nurses interested in research to go directly from the baccalaureate degree to the PhD in an accelerated curriculum. The first two Fast Track students were admitted in Fall 2001.
- 2001 - Dr. Barbara Given, PhD, RN, FAAN, was named the acting Associate Dean of Research.
- 2001 - Dr. Barbara Given, PhD, RN, FAAN, was named Michigan State University Distinguished Professor.
- 2002 - Janice Thompson Granger Nursing Learning Center, the first simulation and media lab, was opened.
- 2004-05 - A 12-month accelerated "second degree" BSN option was developed.
- 2004-05 - The College's first totally on-line programs were implemented: RN-BSN and MSN Education degree programs; Case Management and RN Refresher certificate programs.
- 2006 - Mary Mundt, PhD, RN, was appointed Dean.
- 2006 - First students graduated from the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program.
- 2006 – the College of Nursing joins forces with the BCBSM Foundation to help relieve the nursing shortage through a program titled, “Nursing for Life: The RN Career Transition Program.” The purpose of the program is to help retain nurses by transitioning them into home-based, hospice, long-term and ambulatory care practice.
- 2006 and 2007 - MSU College of Nursing ranked 23rd of 102 nursing programs nationwide in NIH funding.
- 2007 - The College of Nursing Primary Care Center and the College of Human Medicine Family Practice Clinic integrated their practices to enhance opportunities for interdisciplinary care, research and education.
- 2008 – Bernadette (Bott) Marquez, CON BSN ’80, and Timothy Marquez signed a $7 million leadership commitment enabling THE BOTT BUILDING for Nursing Education and Research to become a reality.
- 2008 - the College of Nursing signed an agreement with Chongqing Medical University to establish a student and faculty exchange and research collaboration.
- 2009 - the College partnered with Hope College to encourage enrollment in the PhD Fast Track Program.
- 2009 – a new alliance between Michigan State University’s three human health colleges and Sparrow Hospital was enacted to improve mid-Michigan’s healthcare by expanding research, medical education and clinical services while attracting physician specialties and nurses to address the state’s looming shortage of healthcare professionals.
- 2010 - MSU was awarded a $7.45 million Federal Recovery Grant funded by the NIH/NCRR to support research space in THE BOTT BUILDING for Nursing Education and Research.
- 2010 - the first cohort of Nurse Anesthetist students graduated.
- 2010 – the College of Nursing celebrated our 60th Anniversary. The year long celebration of its “Heritage of Distinction” honored the alumni and historical accomplishments of the College and their impact on healthcare in local communities.
- 2010 – the College of Nursing kicked off the Nursing Workforce Diversity Program expanding access to nursing education for students who are educationally or economically disadvantaged with a grant from the Department of Health and Human Services.
- 2011 – the Michigan Nursing Corps grant enabled seven PhD candidates to complete their education faster, infusing new faculty to serve the State, and producing the College’s largest number of PhD graduates.
- 2012 - achieved rank of #20 in the list of schools of nursing receiving NIH funding in 2012.
- 2012 – the first cohort of MSN Clinical Nursing Specialist and Education concentration graduated.
- 2012 – Dr. Barbara Smith begins her appointment as Associate Dean for Research.
- 2012 – the Center for Innovation and Research was created through a formal partnership agreement between Sparrow Health System and Michigan State University.
- 2012 – Dedicated Education Unit (DEU) with Sparrow is launched to promote educational and practice innovations in clinical education.
- 2012 – Barbara Given became the first nurse elected as Vice Chair of the Sparrow Health System’s Board of Directors.
- 2013 – concurrent enrollment program started with Lansing Community College and Macomb Community College to accelerate transition from ADN degree to BSN degree.
- 2013 – Dean Mary Mundt and Dr. Gwen Wyatt are inducted as Fellows by the American Academy of Nursing.
The College continued to strengthen its partnership with health care providers in Michigan and around the world, and increased its emphasis on research and scholarly activities.
- Off-campus Master of Science programs were established in 1991
- The Post-Master's program was established in 1994 to offer opportunity for masters prepared nurses to receive nurse practitioner education
- The College received final approval for the PhD Program in Nursing in 1999
- In partnership with Ingham Regional Medical Center and the Veterans' Administration, the College opened the MSU Nursing Health Care Center in 1999. It became a national model for self-sustained nurse-managed primary care practice.
- 1991 - College of Nursing Research Center was established to support research and scholarly activities. Barbara Given, PhD, RN, FAAN, was named Director. Faculty were nationally recognized for research in family home care, menopause, and decision-making of patients and providers.
- 1991 - Kathleen Bond, RN, EdD, was named Dean.
- 1992 - Off-campus Master of Science in Nursing track was established in Muskegon.
- 1993 - Off-campus Master of Science in Nursing track was established in Grayling.
- 1993 - The College provided consultation to the China Japan Friendship Hospital in Beijing. A delegation of CON faculty met with the hospital's nursing department to develop a proposal for assistance with the hospital's curriculum; also met with nursing faculties at several universities to discuss nursing.
- 1993 - Associate Dean Marilyn Rothert, RN, PhD, was named acting Dean upon the resignation of Dr. Bond, with full appointment in 1995.
- 1997 - The MSU Community Nursing Center was established in the MSU Clinical Center. Two nurse-managed clinics provided healthcare for elderly patients in public housing.
- 1997 - Through the "Virtual University," the College offered its first worldwide graduate web course. During the 1997-98 academic year,12 nursing courses were offered on interactive TV, plus three courses totally on the Internet.
- 1997 - First full-time Director of Development joined the College. A Board of Visitors was formed to assist with establishing and maintaining communication between the College and the community, to identify prospective donors and funding opportunities, and to help the College remain responsive to health care providers.
- 1998 - The College implemented a semester-long program in Mexico for baccalaureate students, including an intensive Spanish language course and three nursing courses.
- 1998 - Audrey Gift, PhD, RN, FAAN, was appointed as Associate Dean for Research and the Doctoral Programs.
- 1999 - The College received final approval for the PhD program in Nursing.
The early 1980s were a time of change and challenge. In 1980, the School of Nursing became the College of Nursing.
In 1981, however, due to severe financial difficulties in the state and the university, the College was slated for elimination. Strong support for the College from both the community and the profession resulted in a reversal of the recommendation for elimination.
- The College launched the Battle Creek initiative, an off-campus plan allowing RNs to obtain a baccalaureate degree in the Battle Creek area
- The first class of students was admitted to the MSN Gerontological Nurse Specialist program in 1982
- Demonstration/simulation laboratory provided enhanced learning opportunities for students
- 1980 - The School of Nursing becomes the College of Nursing, and Director Isabelle Payne, EdD, RN, becomes the first Dean.
- 1981 - Upon Dr. Payne's retirement, Gladys Courtney, RN, PhD, assumed the position of Dean.
- 1984 - The College of Nursing joined with the College of Human Medicine and the College of Osteopathic Medicine to form "Human Health Programs," allowing for increased collaboration among the units and greater visibility for College of Nursing.
- 1986 - The College of Nursing earned NLN reaccreditation.
- 1989 - Gwen Andrew, PhD, was named interim Dean upon the resignation of Dr. Courtney.
The 1970s were a time of growth and expansion for the School of Nursing's programs, and the number of undergraduate students and faculty increased as well.
- The School of Nursing moved to the new Life Sciences Building in 1971 after being temporarily housed in Baker Hall
- The Master of Science in Nursing, with a strong primary care emphasis, was created in 1976
- A Family Nurse Clinician program was established in 1977 and accredited by the National League for Nursing in 1978
- 1971 - Isabelle Payne, RN, EdD, became the School of Nursing's third director.
- 1972 - The Baccalaureate Completion program for RNs was made available in Saginaw.
- 1973 - The content of a multimedia project developed by the School of Nursing through a USPHS grant was sold to Harper & Row Publishers.
- 1974 - The School of Nursing created a Division of Continuing Education, offering short-term community (off-campus) non-credit programs to RNs across the state.
- 1975 - Clinical experiences were available in 17 institutions across the state.
- 1976 – Dr. Barbara Given was named Associate Dean for Graduate Education.
- The College's first federally funded research grant, "Patient Contributions to Care: Link to Process Outcome, by Barbara Given, PhD, RN, FAAN, is received. The grant was funded by the Division of Nursing, Health and Human Services.
- 1979 - Joy Curtis, Director of Student Support Services, and Roslyn Embling, International Secretary of the Royal College of Nursing in the United Kingdom, developed the International Summer School for English-speaking nurses and student nurses from around the world.
- 1989 - The Baccalaureate Completion Track for Registered Nurses, first offered in Battle Creek, became available in Lansing.
The 1960s were an era of change for the nation, the University, and the School of Nursing.
- Programs continued to grow; the RN-BSN track began
- The School of Nursing moved to its new home in the basement of Morrill Hall in 1961
- With the division of the College of Arts and Sciences into three colleges in 1962, the School of Nursing became part of the College of Natural Science
- 1961 - The School of Nursing at Edward W. Sparrow Hospital graduated its last class. However, nursing students from Michigan State University have continued to use the facility for clinical instruction at the hospital's invitation.
- 1964 - Michigan State University of Agriculture and Applied Science became Michigan State University.
- 1964 - Florence Kempf, RN, MA, first Director of the Department of Nursing, retired.
- 1965 - Gwendoline R. MacDonald, PhD, RN, was appointed Director of the School of Nursing.
- 1967 - The School of Nursing received a 5-year USPHS grant to develop the Multimedia project, a new concept for accommodating individual student learning styles and rates.
- 1967 - The School of Nursing moved to its temporary home Baker Hall, a facility it shared with Anthropology, Psychology and the School of Social Work, while awaiting the completion of the new Life Sciences building.
- 1968 - Groundbreaking for the Life Sciences building took place in March. This facility was built on land specifically designated for education in medicine and nursing.
In 1950, the Board of Trustees of Michigan State College authorized the development of a Department of Nursing Education.
The Department, housed in Giltner Hall, was in the Division of Biological Sciences in the College of Arts and Science. Florence Kempf, RN, MA, was appointed Director and only faculty member. Seventeen women were enrolled in the fall of 1950.
- The four-year BSN program provided clinical experiences at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing and Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids
- The first class graduated in 1954 with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- The Michigan Board of Nursing granted full approval to the program in 1954
- 1950 - The Department shared its first home, Giltner Hall, with the College of Veterinary Medicine, and used Olin for classroom space.
- 1950s - Clinical courses were developed in many sites across the state: pediatrics at Children's Hospital in Detroit; rural nursing at Holland City Hospital; medical-surgical specialties and maternity at Butterworth; fundamentals and medical-surgical at Sparrow; and additional clinical experience at Northville Psychiatric and Ingham County Tuberculosis Sanatorium.
- 1955 - Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences became Michigan State University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences.
- 1957 - The Department of Nursing became the School of Nursing.
- 1957 - Full accreditation of the MSU nursing program was granted by the National League for Nursing Education.
- 1957 - The School of Nursing initiated a new degree completion program for RNs who were graduates of diploma or associate degree programs.